Introducing Silverstack 6
Clever Media Management for Film Productions
Thank you for purchasing or testing Silverstack. We value your trust in our company and products, and we will do our best to meet your expectations. Be assured, with Silverstack’s great features like fast and secure backup creation and advanced report creation, your own copy of Silverstack will help to increase the productivity of your film production workflow.
Silverstack offers secure and reliable data backup of set data files directly on the film set. The source media coming from the camera is your most valuable asset in the movie production process, so it is crucial to have a managed and secure backup and perform quality check and movie data preparation for post-production as soon as possible after shooting.
Silverstack is your digital library. It allows you to organize, search and filter your media resources like, clips and metadata. Silverstack extracts and stores all metadata embedded in clips such as timecode, color information, etc. and makes them available for offline use.
Silverstack allows you to perform multiple, verified copies at once. It remembers all copy and backup activities, so that you have a complete overview of your production’s source clips.
Silverstack lets you transfer all relevant information such as camera metadata, comments, captions, cue points and markers and scene/shot and take names to post production and editing tools. Thus all your annotations and quality check information find their way into your existing post-production workflow.
What’s New in Version 6:
- Native support for audio clips: Automatic assembly of audio files (BWF, *.wav) to audio clips including metadata support, playback capabilities and integration in reporting functionalities
- Manual audio sync: Sync audio clips to video clips (Silverstack XT only)
- Faster transcoding engine: Improved transcoding engine for faster transcoding speeds
- Improved transcoding functionalities: Create custom transcoding configurations, preview the transcoded clips in the transcoding preview and transcode to different Quicktime ProRes and H.264 flavors
- Transcode with burn-ins and overlays: Transcode clips with basic metadata burn in options and add a watermark to the image
- Multi destination and multi format transcoding: Transcode footage to multiple destinations with different resolutions simultaneously (Silverstack XT only)
- Transcoding statistics: Profit from transcoding statistics to make sure to transcode all required clips (Silverstack XT only)
- Management of transcoded clips: Manage source and transcoded clips in one library
- Player dual grid view: Show two clips side-by-side and compare clips and grades in the player grid view (Silverstack XT only)
- Second display: Extend the Silverstack XT UI to two displays for a two screen working environment (Silverstack XT only)
- Export to Adobe Premiere Pro: Export clip metadata to Adobe Premiere Pro via a custom XML file
- More formats with audio support: We added native audio support for ARRIRAW (.ari, external audio file), REDCODE RAW (.r3d) clips and Bolex Cinema DNG (.dng, external audio file)
What Was New in Version 5:
- HD-SDI output: quality check made easier and available SDI output to display clips in reference monitors.
- Look control and grade creation.
- A dynamic look library that seamlessly integrates with LiveGrade Pro.
- Improved capabilities to transfer clip and color information to common Dailies tools.
- Accelerated backup processes to LTO tapes via LTF: Speeds up the copy and checksum verification process to LTO tapes.
- “Cascading copy” for faster processing cycles of media: Makes copy tasks more efficient by first copying to fast destinations and from there in a second run to slower drives.
- Set and Set-to-Post workflows with multiple Silverstack libraries: Imports and merges different libraries from several workstations into one master project.
- Lots of further new features: Comes with still image export, a new report type with larger thumbnails, and file verification tailored to Set-to-Post workflows.
- Best performance with large libraries: Allows optimized handling of large projects with tens of thousands of clips.
- Improved job control: Provides better overview of running and finished jobs, simplifies job abortion and error handling.
- Updated user interface: Makes the important tasks easier to perform.
Silverstack requires a Macintosh computer with macOS 10.10 or higher. Since we are using the latest of macOS technologies, we are not planning to support earlier versions of macOS, neither will we port Silverstack to other operating systems in the near future.
If your Mac is equipped with an ExpressCard/34-, CompactFlash- or SD card-slot, you can directly offload clips.
Supported Advanced Media Formats
Silverstack provides advanced features for many camera formats to maximize the efficiency of relevant on-set tasks such as quality check, playback and metadata management. For a detailed list of the supported formats, please take a look at the article Assets in Silverstack.
Generally Supported Media Formats
Silverstack offers a more flexible way of data handling by supporting all kinds of file formats – including sound files, photos, any camera media and all other production documents. With Silverstack, all files are copied and managed in the same secure way, which simplifies the daily tasks for DITs and streamlines subsequent post-production work.
Note: For real time playback of your offloaded video files the usage of a fast hard drive as a SSD card is recommended.
If you have further questions about supported hardware please let us know. If you would like to know more about data performance, you might be interested in this article for improving your performance.
Silverstack detects Broadcast Wave files automatically as audio and merges associated audio files together to audio clips. Learn more about Audio Clips in Silverstack.
Manual Audio Sync
Learn more about manual audio sync in the article How to Manually Sync Audio in Silverstack XT and Silverstack Lab.
If you’d like to know more about transcoding in Silverstack, please take a look at the Knowledge Base article Transcoding Clips.
Learn how to use Silverstack’s user interface in the article User Interface Overview.
Learn about Silverstack’s UI Layouts that are shortcuts to certain user interface configurations in the article UI Layouts: Quick configurations for the Silverstack User Interface.
The second display in Silverstack enables a two screen working environment. Read more in the article Second Display: Two Screen Working Environment in Silverstack.
Offload and Backup Media with Silverstack
The get a closer look at the different copy modes in Silverstack, please take a look at the following articles:
Organize your Material
Get a better understanding on how the Library works with the following articles:
Silverstack enables you to edit metadata information of your clips and files. Except some non-editable technical information as format, duration etc. you can change and add a lot of metadata. Related articles:
Look Management and Color Grading
Look Management and Matching
While using Silverstack together with LiveGrade on set to manage clip data and looks hand in hand, you surely want to combine the created information afterwards. Silverstack offers a solution to avoid assigning looks to clips manually. You can connect them based on the metadata you already created while generating them: Look Matching
Silverstack’s Look Library and grading controls enable you to receive looks from LiveGrade: Transferring Looks from LiveGrade Pro to Silverstack
Manage looks within Silverstack in a look library in order to keep a proper overview of all the looks in your project. The look library allows to store new looks, edit their metadata, apply looks to one or multiple clips, as well as to import looks from LiveGrade: The Silverstack Look Library
Silverstack supports different grading modes designed for specific camera setups and workflow environments: Grading Controls in Silverstack.
Player Grid View
You can display two clips side-by-side in the player to e.g. reference grades (Silverstack XT only). Learn more in the article Player Grid View for Multi Clip Selection.
Silverstack offers a solution to export clips to DaVinci Resolve including ASC-CDL color metadata. Additionally it is possible to set up Resolve with the according LUTs to reflect the color processing done in Silverstack: Transfer Clips to DaVinci Resolve Including Color Metadata
To learn about the process of matching metadata from an ALE file generated from Silverstack to master clips in Avid: Transfer Color Metadata to AVID Media Composer
Silverstack comes with HD-SDI output to play out ingested clips in best quality for QC on an HD-SDI monitor. The current clip in the player gets mirrored to the HD-SDI output showing the image in full-screen and 10 bit color depth: HD-SDI Output in Silverstack
Additionally, Silverstack offers the possibility to overlay frame lines over the clips in the playback window, as well as for the SDI output: Frame Lines in the Playback View
Further more, functionalities provided within the “Visual Controls” panel allow to check the colors and quality of your video clip: Visual Control Functionalities in Playback Mode
Silverstack offers audio playback of audio data embedded in video clips for preview and quality check: Multichannel Audio in Silverstack
The ability to de-squeeze footage recorded with anamorphic lenses and image flipping is also available in Silverstack: Image transformation
Transfer and Report
To process your clips and metadata in other Tools like Avid Media Composer, FinalCut or Speedgrade you can use the Transfer wizards.
Export options also involve transfer to:
You can export a whole project, single or several folders, bins or clips, smart folders and the volumes. For more information:
Library Metadata Transfer
Learn how to transfer metadata between workstations in the article Library Metadata Exchange.
Silverstack provides a lot of different keyboard shortcuts. Please take a look at the Main Menu of the application to find necessary shortcuts to speed up your workflow.
Please be aware that not all of these shortcuts are available in each of the different functional areas within Silverstack. So it may happen that a shortcut won’t work in a certain situation. For example if you don’t have a clip selection then you cannot use the Rate selection keyboard short cut.
Learn how to customize shortcuts: Customize Shortcuts
For More Information Please Check Out Our Knowledge Base:
Pomfort GmbH © 2017